The dangers of household fire don't disappear when the fire goes out. In fact, the aftermath of a fire can be just as hazardous as the fire itself, though in a different way. The best way to avoid many of the dangers from fire damage is to work with a professional restoration company like Nordic Services Inc for your fire restoration process. Here's a look at three of the biggest threats to your home and health after a fire and the reasons you shouldn't do the work yourself.
The smoke and flame of a household fire will leave soot residue behind on most every surface, including inside porous materials. Soot contains microscopic particulates that can be hazardous to your health. Since the particles are so small and soot can be airborne, you might inhale it without even realizing it. This can introduce soot particles into both your lungs and your bloodstream.
In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency claims that soot can lead to many health concerns, including stroke, heart attacks and bronchitis. Soot removal needs to be done with proper safety gear, and it isn't easy to get all of it unless you have the professional training to understand how to do it effectively.
Asbestos is a serious health threat that can lead to mesothelioma, which is typically fatal. Asbestos was a popular construction material in the past, and if your home is from the mid to late 1900s, there may be some asbestos content. A fire in a home with asbestos can be dangerous, because the fire could have exposed the asbestos fibers.
Cleaning up residue that contains asbestos is a job for professionals. You need extensive safety equipment to protect your lungs and your health. Talk with a fire restoration company and let them know if you have any reason to suspect the presence of asbestos in your home so that they can take the proper precautions.
In addition to flames and smoke, household fires lead to a lot of water damage. Whether the water comes from an in-home integrated sprinkler system or from the fire department's suppression efforts, the water can be destructive. If you don't get the whole house dried out, any residual water can lead to black mold growth. In fact, black mold thrives in areas that are dark and damp, and it's something that takes a trained eye to prevent and detect.
Black mold can be deadly, and other strains of mold that can grow in these areas can be irritating to your respiratory system. Water damage and its residual effects can be almost as destructive as the fire itself, so be proactive about taking care of your home and drying things out.
With so many concerns about what's in the soot residue, the structural damage left behind and other health hazards, it's in your best interest to have the remediation work done by a specialist. Talk with a fire damage restoration service today about how to address your home's fire damage.