Can you believe that the school year is almost over? You and your children are probably counting the days for summer vacation! If you've decided that you want your home in total order before summer hits you, here are some ideas that will make the job easier for you.
Get Rid of Clutter - Have you noticed how much stuff you have accumulated in your house? If your high schoolers still have puzzles designed for toddlers, hopefully they'll be willing to get rid of them! If you are still holding on to Christmas cards in the hopes of answering each one personally, either pitch them or make the time to do the job. Perhaps the time has come to evaluate what you really want or use, and then disposing of the rest.
- Give each of your children the chore of going through personal belongings.
- Establish a plan. Trash goes into a big plastic bag, items that are in good shape but are no longer wanted go into two categories. One category is for charity and the other one goes to a special place that will be dealt with when you hold your yard sale.
- Establish, or reestablish, the rule that there is a place for everything and everything should be in its place.
Organize What You've Kept - Now that you've gotten rid of things you don't want or need, it's time to store them properly.
- If you don't have enough shelf space in bedroom closets, consider adding some. Don't stop there, though. Keep them organized by putting shoes in clear storage boxes or on shoe racks. Think about installing hat racks, belt, scarf and necktie holders. Add dividers to drawers to separate socks, undies, stockings and other small items.
- In bathrooms, add racks for makeup, nail polish, and other personal items. Consider adding a pretty cabinet with a door on it for extra storage space. Store extra linens in pretty storage containers that you can actually leave out as part of the decor.
- In the kitchen, use storage containers that will keep food fresh. Consider buying slanted shelves that allow canned goods to roll on their sides. Not only will this make for a more organized pantry, but your canned goods will be rotated more easily. Buy storage shelves for both the kitchen and the utility room to keep extra detergent and other items you like to store.
Congratulations on getting your home well organized. For further assistance, contact a local outlet, such as Shelving Rack & Lockers Inc.